The Village Church of Stiepel

"Its rich paintings created from the 12th to the 16th centuries make this village church unique in Westphalia. In particular its almost 800 year old paintings from the early days of the church give it an importance reaching far across the borders of Germany." (Hilde Clausen, Landesdenkmalamt Münster) 

This church situated in Bochum-Stiepel, a suburb with mainly village-like characteristics, is located in an idyllic setting surrounded by its historic church yard full of old trees. 1000 years ago, Imma, the wife of Count Luitger from the Billunger family and a sister of Bishop Meinwerk from Paderborn, had a church built for her use on her private property in Stiepel. This first single-nave church was replaced by a basilica of Romanesque style during the 12th century. Later in the 15th century it was extended to the hall church of today. Its multiform and colorful paintings of the interior provide this cultural monument in the Ruhr Valley with a special importance that extends beyond the German borders. Since the Reformation Era, the village church of Stiepel has been a protestant church presenting itself today also as a cultural center for Bochum and the region.

Parish profile

The main emphasis of the parish activity is determined by this 1000 years old cultural monument. Large numbers of regular services are conducted in accordance with protestant traditions for sermons, joint singing and music. Special presentations include worship services with cantata, chamber music events and organ concerts. The village church is an especially favored place for weddings, baptism, and also services for private events. Many visitors from all over Germany and abroad are expertly guided through the church year by year.

"Offene Kirche" (Church visiting hours)

Visiting hours daily (except Monday)

- mid October to mid March     3 pm to 5 pm (15.00 – 17.00)

- mid March to mid October     2 pm to 6 pm (14.00 – 18.00)

There is always a way for visiting outside the above hours:

- the anteroom is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm  (10.00 – 17.00 hours)

- via the parish office a guided church tour can be arranged (German and English)

 

 

 

© Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Stiepel 2007